Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grace of losing and reaching 'nothing'

I watched the movie Ten Tiny Love Stories.  It is a monologue by ten women, where the writer and the director is the same person, a man.

What number ten said put my newly developing thoughts as a reforming narcissist into a great perspective.  I want to reach nothing (in terms of controlling relationships) before rebirth and want to do that mentally, without losing all my assets and existing relationships.  Reaching nothing means acceptance, grace for what you have instead of constantly deliberating in your mind what lacks.

Here are the memorable lines from number 10 in the movie, three years after her husband, Roy, dies after falling off a roof (after seventeen years of marriage, no children):

"My family was anchor, Roy gave me roots and he gave me wings.  Taught me to build a bridge between my dreams and who I am.  That's why most people never find love, because their dreams get in the way.  Love is about acceptance, it's about settling.  Settling is the real triumph of love...  real love means loving 'despite ....'

Things wash away and what's left is a sense of peacefulness, and the feeling that we're all alone. And, that's OK, and that's a relief too.  It's a relief to know that the wind will blow us away leaving nothing, not even a trace. It's good to be nothing, and it's good to have nothing.

If only we wanted nothing while we were here."

No comments:

Post a Comment